(Truncated because I’m killing time while waiting for a computer thing to finish) A Facebook meme. The usual rules: Don’t take too long to think about it. 15 films you’ve seen that will always stick with you. List the first 15 you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Shoot heroin into your eyeball.
1. Blade Runner. I could watch it with no sound. I could listen to the audio with no picture. It’s rock solid. I can’t think of anything I don’t like about it. I mean, I actually sort of hate the Vangelis soundtrack, but it’s so 100% a part of the whole deal I have warm feelings about it anyway. Sort of the same way I could listen to Culture Club or ‘Invisible Touch’ by Genesis.
2. The Party. Despite not giving a good god-damn about the second half of this Peter Sellers romp, I have made the first half of the movie such an integral part of my vocabulary of movie reference, it must be included.
3. Rushmore. A meticulously crafted movie beginning to end. Great characters, writing, set design, acting, casting. It’s pretty much Blade Runner without all the Asians and rain.
4. Death To Smoochy/Idiocracy/Pootie Tang. How did these films get made? I’m glad they did.
5. Cherry 2000. A terrible movie about sex robots that featured no sex and barely any robots, but did feature a bad-assed beat to shit rocket-powered ’67 Mustang.
6. Butch Cassidy & Robert Redford’s Film Festival. A film that defined and transcends the buddies-on-an-adventure genre.
7. Last Hero In China/Deadly China Hero. One of my favorite kung fu movies (it was released under two names). It’s practically a comedy, yet it somehow still managed to kick some amazing ass.
8. Magnificent Seven. Is the balls.
9. the computer thing finished.